LLPH Vote Review: CISPA (Can I See Privacy Attacked?-The House)

LLPH joined with conservative groups like Freedomworks and Campaign for Liberty and even liberal groups like DailyKos and ACLU in opposing CISPA.

Freedomworks stated about CISPA:

CISPA would allow for more information sharing between the private sector and the federal government regarding cyber security. Although this year’s CISPA is a net improvement over last year’s bill, it still leaves open concerns about private information being shared in the name of national security. 

There are grave Fourth Amendment concerns with CISPA. The bill would override existing privacy laws to allow companies to share “cyber threat information” with the federal government without making any reasonable effort to strip out any personal information from the file.

Under CISPA, the government could be reading private emails or looking through a user’s Internet browsing history without a warrant. Users will have no way of knowing what has been shared since information provided under CISPA would be exempt from Freedom of Information requests. There is possibility that a company could—accidentally or intentionally—send your personal details to federal agencies. Companies would be protected from civil and criminal liability even if they make a bad decision that puts a user at unnecessary risk.

Read their press release here: http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/mkibbe/letter-in-opposition-of-cispa

But despite conservative opposition, only 29 GOP representatives bucked their leadership to vote against this bill. The GOP is suppose to be the limited government party, but with the exception of about 10% of the GOP, the other 90% is filled with  RINOs who would rather give the government more power (just not as much as the liberals in the Democrat Party which is not saying much).

Image

 

29 GOP Representatives Vote Against CISPA: Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI 3), Kerry Bentivolio (R-MI 11), Rob Bishop (R-UT 1), Jim Bridenstine (R-OK 1), Paul Broun (R-GA 10), Rodney Davis (R-IL 13), Ron DeSantis (R-FL 6), Jeff Duncan (R-SC 4), John Fleming (R-LA 4), Scott Garrett (R-NJ 5), Chris Gibson (R-NY 19), Louie Gohmert (R-TX 1), Paul Gosar (R-AZ 4), Ralph Hall (R-TX 4), Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA 3), Tim Huelskamp (R-KS 1), Walter Jones (R-NC 3), Jack Kingston (R-GA 1), Raul Labrador (R-ID 1), Kenny Marchant (R-TX 24), Thomas Massie (R-KY 4), Tom McClintock (R-CA 4), Mark Meadows (R-NC 11), Bill Posey (R-FL 8), Scott Rigell (R-VA 2), Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA 48), Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI 5), Steve Stockman (R-TX 36), and Ted Yoho (R-FL 3). 

Here’s the roll call vote: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/113-2013/h117

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s